We’re looking for a coder/data scientist to help us develop an exciting city modelling product, as well as our existing data science projects. More details are below.
Who we are
Mastodon C are agile big data specialists. We offer the open source technology platform and the skills to help our clients realise the potential of their data. We work in particular in applying data to areas where we think we can have a positive impact on the world.
You will act as an inhouse data scientist and developer for a major new product, applying big data, open data, and analytics technologies to improve city planning. You will also support other data science projects, where we help a variety of clients to solve their business problems by developing big data and data science solutions.
You will in particular be responsible for:
- Interacting with users and clients to understand their challenges and goals
- Working closely with the rest of the team to write and deploy your models – you will be specialising in the data science element of our work, but will collaborate with others to integrate your models into a wider codebase
- Thinking through and proposing approaches to solve clients’ modelling problems, by listening to the user’s needs, the available data, possible methods to apply, and working within time and money constraints to suggest the best way forwards
- Disseminating knowledge around data science and modelling throughout the team
You will work day-to-day with the software development team, business team, and other data scientists who you will collaborate with to design and implement solutions both within Witan and in other projects.
Who you are
Our ideal person for this role would:
- At least Bachelors level degree in a numerate subject, or be very comfortable with the mathematics of data science
- Be confident and comfortable writing data science code in at least one language, and happy to learn Clojure, our language of choice. Our team come from a variety of technical backgrounds using Java, Python, R, and other languages.
- Have a broad background knowledge of data science approaches, for example machine learning, statistics.
- Be keen to learn about new areas of data science and city modelling
- Be excited to share their knowledge with the team, and keen to work in a collaborative environment
- Have good communication skills – able to listen to users and clients and understand their challenges and goals, able to communicate complex structures and models to non-technical users
- Be interested in and excited about applying data and analytics to important issues in the world
Nice to Have:
- Have had exposure to a wide range of data science and forecasting challenges, and know the pros and cons of various model approaches
- Have experience with ETL or big data technologies (spark, hadoop, other)
- Experience in Clojure
Salary and work environment
We are based in Bermondsey, London. We’re happy to discuss part-remote or part-time arrangements if those are important for you.
We’re a small and very consultative and interactive team, which means that every member has a big influence on how things run and has a lot of control over the way they work.
The salary for this role is between £30,000 and £40,000 per year.
If this looks like your kind of a job, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV (and, if possible, recent code or project examples) and we’ll talk.
Please note that you need to be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this position.
No agents please.
Share this article